Investment-Based Immigration

E-2 Visa

An E-2 visa is designed for investors who have made a considerable investment within the United States. A foreign national who holds an E-2 visa can live and work in the United States and can travel freely in and out of the country. To obtain this type of visa, you must satisfy three important criteria: (1) Be a resident of a country with which the United States maintains an active investment treaty, (2) Make a sufficiently sized financial investment in an American-based business or entity; and (3) Come to the U.S. primarily to direct the investment or in furtherance of the investment.


An EB-5 immigrant investor visa allows investors and their immediate family members to become lawful permanent residents in the United States. Investors are generally required to make at least a $500,000 investment into an approved, job-creating project within the country. The investment must come before the immigration benefit. This visa leads issuance of a green card for the investor and the investors family. After five years, they may be eligible to seek American citizenship.


Also known as the Inter-Corporate Transfer Visa, the L1 allows foreign nationals who are transferred to work in the United States as a manager, executive, or person with specialized knowledge, to obtain a green card. The foreign national must have (1) worked for the affiliated company abroad for a period of at least one year in the last 3 years, and (2) the job in the U.S. must be similar to the job performed at home.